In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Old York Historical Society

Old York Historical Society Facts

Founded:
The Museums of Old York, previously the Old York Historical Society, is the result of a merger between three larger historically-minded organizations from the Old York area. The first of these was the Old York Historical and Improvement Society, which was founded in 1896 by York summer residents to "beautify" the town.

The Old Gaol Museum Committee was formed in 1900 to restore the Old Gaol, which dates back to the 18th century and is now a National Historic Landmark.

The last of these three groups was the Society for the Preservation of Historic Landmarks in York County. The Society was founded in 1941 by Miss Elizabeth Perkins and its focus was on building restoration projects.

Mission:
The Museums of Old York is dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the history of the York region for the education and enjoyment of the public.

Collections:
The Museums of Old York maintain an extensive array of materials, some of which are on permanent display while others rotate through or are occasionally loaned out.

The acquisitions of the Society are expansive and include furniture, textiles & needlework and other fine arts. Two of the more famous pieces in the Museums' collections are a set of 18th century crewelwork bed-hangings and a black walnut dining table circa 1730.

Facilities:
The Museums of Old York consists of nine historic museums buildings, seven of which are on the National Register of Historic Places. These buildings include the Remick Barn(1834), Jefferd's Tavern(1754), the Old Schoolhouse(1745), the Emerson-Wilcox House(1742), the Old Gaol(1719), Ramsdell House(c. 1820), John Hancock Warehouse(1740), George Marshall Store(1870), and Elizabeth Perkins House(1730). The Society also owns an archival library and several other holdings.

Activities: